At the RealFoodSource we source most of the products we love from around the world because they can't be grown in the UK or European Union and we want to make them available at the best possible prices. However, we are big local food advocates (we get most of our vegetables from the farm across the field!) So, where we can find great products in the UK, even if a little more expensive, we love to get them and that's what we've sourced with our lovely new British hemp from Devon. It's made from 100% cold pressed pure ground hempseed, packed with the most essential super nutrients in a more concentrated state than any other hemp food product.
This hemp powder contains 50% protein which is a very high ratio for a natural whole food source. It is the most easily digested and absorbed protein for your body and also contains all ten essential amino acids making it a top source for protein. Plus it's free from gluten, dairy and lactose, sugar, GMO, additives and preservatives.
The lovely Jo at Including cake provides this wonderful recipe below for these delicious raw hemp superfood protein bars which we love.
- 1/2 cup (80g) pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup (50g) shredded coconut
- ¼ cup (40g) hemp seeds
- ¼ cup (50g) hemp protein
- 2 tbs chia seeds (15g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs cacao powder
- 1 tbs maca powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup packed raisins (or 10 dates)
- 3 tbs melted coconut oil
- 3 tbs gluten free oats or quinoa flakes
- Pulse the dry ingredients (other than oats/quinoa) together in a food processor so there are still coarse pieces remaining. Set aside whilst blending the dates/raisins with the coconut oil. Add dry ingredients and pulse to achieve a slightly crunchy sticky mixture. Mix through the oats/quinoa flakes last.
- Press the mixture into the bottoms of a small loaf tin or form into balls. Chill for at least 1 hour before carefully slicing onto bars. Store the bars in the fridge.