Makes 1 8” loaf
- 4 tbs ground chia seeds mixed with 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbs coconut oil melted
- 2-3 tbs coconut syrup (to suit your taste)
- 1 1⁄2 heaped cups roughly chopped walnuts/ pumpkin seeds/sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa nibs
- 3 tbs chia seeds
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 4 tbs psyllium husk (don’t omit this as it helps bind)
- 1⁄2 heaped cup chopped dried fruit (I used a mix of dates and apricot)
- 1 heaped tsp cinnamon and 1 heaped tsp mixed spice
Mix together the ground chia, hot water, coconut oil and coconut syrup and set aside. Mix the remaining ingredients and then combine with the wet mixture. Combine well. The mixture will be very thick and sticky and have a ‘gel’ like quality.
Pack firmly into a greased and lined loaf pan and let sit covered for a minimum of two hours or overnight (to assist the binding process). Bake at 180C for 20 mins and then remove from tin, flip over and continue to bake without the tin for approx. 30 minutes until golden and sounds hollow when tapped with a finger.
Make sure the loaf is fully cool before slicing.