Post by Jo @ Including Cake
It's a cold, windy, wet night so time to snuggle up with a warm milk, and this hits the spot perfectly! The recipe also features in our free Coconut oil recipe ebook, download it for free here.
I use coconut oil on a daily basis as a beauty product and as an ingredient in my recipes, so it seemed only fitting to help dedicate a book to the stuff! The recipes in the book aim to showcase coconut oil as a main ingredient, but as a general rule coconut oil can be used in place of most oils and fats in recipes in either liquid or solid state.
Traditionally, turmeric milk has been used for colds, congestion, headache, and sore throats. This 'golden milk' is warm and healing, high in antioxidants, anti inflammatory compounds and healthy fats... pure food for the soul.
Recipe: Turmeric Milk
- 2 cups of almond milk (I used strained blended almond paste*)
- 1 tablespoon local raw honey or coconut syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground organic turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- small pinch of black pepper and grated ginger (fresh is best)
Simply pour all ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a light boil, whisk, reduce heat and drink warm.
You may also consume this chilled, but warm is best.
Strain if you have large pieces of ginger or cinnamon of if your almond milk is not super smooth.
* To make almond milk use 2 tbs almond paste with 2 cups water. Blend well until smooth- you will likely need to strain the milk to ensure the smoothest consistency.